Re: [linux-audio-dev] open firmware: experiences?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open firmware: experiences?
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 14:28:02 EEST

>From: Joe Miklojcik <jmik_AT_nbcs.rutgers.edu>
>
>Specifically, I mean the operating system for a device that is not a general
>purpose computer. For example, the PostScript interpreter software within a
>laser printer is not "software" but "firmware".

One advantage is that I would be able to change the behaviour of a control
device if I'm not entirely satisfied how it works. There would not be
a need to write the entire software, just change the relevant code.
Naturally the microcontroller would have come with flash memory.

>I don't want to release this information ON PURPOSE just yet, I might get in
>trouble.

They are not yet doing any business?
If they are already selling controllers, you can safely tell the
name privately so that you don't associate the name to these plans
in public. Afterall, I remember sending my mail privately. :-o

[ My design ]
>I'd love to have a look.

I think I will put beta version available for discussion purposes next
week. If there are people interested in to read that beta version, I would
like to hear from you. I would like to have comments from people who
have build controllers, mixing consoles, synths, etc. because my design
document is hardware oriented.

I have planned to have an official webpage available before JIM2000 Computer
Music Conference in Bordeaux, May 15-18, where my project is announced
within the survey of Linux-based projects in computer music. (The survey
was posted here a couple of weeks ago. Check http://www.scrime.u-bordeaux.fr/
JIM2000/call.htm)

>I think I'm going to look into creating a mailing list for Alternative
>Controller developers. What's better than egroups these days?

Good idea. (I don't know if egroups is good or not.)

By the way, what do you mean by "alternative"? Artistic performance
sensors a la Infusion System?

Juhana