[linux-audio-dev] new libgtkmmext for Gtk-- 1.2.0; new ardour; new softwerk

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] new libgtkmmext for Gtk-- 1.2.0; new ardour; new softwerk
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 05:48:54 EEST

I have just committed extensive, widespread changes to libgtkmmext to
make it work with Gtk-- 1.2.0. Because this version of Gtk-- is
fundamentally not even source-compatible with Gtk-- 1.0.2, these
changes have been done in a non-backwards-compatible way. This means
that my 3 applications, Quasimodo, Ardour and SoftWerk, which use
libgtkmmext, now require Gtk-- 1.2.0, and the source will NOT compile
with Gtk-- 1.0.2. The last version of the library before this change
was tagged in the repository as "pre-gtkmm-2-2".

So that I can continue the active development on ardour and softwerk,
I have already ported both of these applications to the new version of
libgtkmmext. The new versions have been committed into CVS at

             ardour.sourceforge.net
             softwerk.sourceforge.net

For ardour, I don't think there are any outstanding issues at all -
all previous functionality is there. For softwerk, there are a couple
of issues that have yet to be resolved that prevent triggers and
pattern files from being useful at this time. I will fix these in the
next few days.

I do not have the time (or energy) to port gtk-quasimodo to the new
library right now. This means that for a (short time) gtk-quasimodo
will not compile against the new libgtkmmext.

Obviously, anyone using the library with my own programs or with their
own should plan on installing Gtk-- and installing. The new version of
Gtk-- is much nicer in many, many ways. Its getting close to perfect.

--p