[linux-audio-dev] Alsa Safety Feature (summary)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Alsa Safety Feature (summary)
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 16:33:35 EEST

>From: Andre Pang <andrep-ml_AT_vjolnir.org>
>
> what you're asking for is to do something in a driver. it's general
>driver architecture to not meddle with what it's meant to do - this not only
>goes against entire unix philosophy, but it's just plain _wrong_. and you
>cannot 'correct' volume without some sort of distortion being introduced,

[ Break in connection... continuing previous mail ]

Lets just summary what we have now:

1. The driver would offer a limit to the master volume. This limit
could be 100%, i.e., no change in the current behaviour.

2. If agreed, the default limit could be 60% by default for the __safety__
reasons but could be easily adjusted via conf.modules, via /proc, or via
API depending who is allowed to change it and when.
[ Basically we have already disagreed, so, the limit would be 100%. ]

3. Alsalib could offer the software gain when one tries to listen to
quiet audio in a system using the safety feature.

The first and third item should be easy to add without anybody noticing
anything, i.e., the limit would be 100%. Alsa driver won't slow down
because the master level is just a gain register in audio card, not
a software signal level limitter.

Even the limit would be 100% by default, it allows me to program my
software with my extra safety features. The feature would not be
useless at all.

Juhana