[linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Alsa Safety Feature (summary)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Alsa Safety Feature (summary)
From: Ville Syrjala (villes_AT_syrjala.pp.sci.fi)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 17:11:21 EEST

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> Lets just summary what we have now:
>
> 1. The driver would offer a limit to the master volume. This limit
> could be 100%, i.e., no change in the current behaviour.

I vote no. The master volume is the limit. Why add another? Why change the
master volume? Just put a "safe" default to /etc/asound.conf.

> 3. Alsalib could offer the software gain when one tries to listen to
> quiet audio in a system using the safety feature.

So you want to limit the hardware volume and add a software volume control
to compensate. Is it only me or does this seem silly? And how do you plan
on controlling the gain?

> The first and third item should be easy to add without anybody noticing
> anything, i.e., the limit would be 100%. Alsa driver won't slow down
> because the master level is just a gain register in audio card, not
> a software signal level limitter.

Item 3 would be noticed and would slow things down.

---
Ville Syrjälä
syrjala_AT_sci.fi
http://www.sci.fi/~syrjala/