Re: [linux-audio-dev] rtlinux, MIDI timecode

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] rtlinux, MIDI timecode
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 16:45:31 EEST

On Fri, 05 May 2000, Stephane Conversy wrote:
> Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
>
> > Well, with a heavy heart, I am beginning to think that I have to use
> > RTLinux after all. With ardour.
>
> what about other solutions like rtai ?
> http://www.aero.polimi.it/projects/rtai/
>
> anyone has experienced it ?

RTAI is similar to RTLinux , but includes some more advanced functions
like Semaphores , IPC, various timers etc.

But it has basically the same limitiations as RTLinux:

if we want to interact with the hardware we have to
either give up realtime quarantees, or write a specialized driver for
a specific piece of HW.

Therefore the only way to go is to use a low latency kernel.

And Montavista has figured out that even for most embedded applications
(except for the ones requiring sub-msec accuracy) this is the way to go.

They released documentation and an experimental patch at

http://www.mvista.com/realtime

I will benchmark this with latencytest,
let's see how well it compares to the 2.2.10-lowlatency kernel.

Benno.