Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update, New Project (CMT) & Help Requested

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update, New Project (CMT) & Help Requested
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 17:19:13 EEST

> Another point: who sets and frees the
> void * ImplementationData;
> structure of Descriptor? Both delay.c and filter.c don't do it, and
> host cannot even check if something is there or not.
>
> Also, since plug-in doesn't free the descriptor structure (and thus
> ImplementationData) and because host cannot even guess the content of
> the ImplementationData, the ImplementationData is left unfreed in any
> case even host knows the Descriptor structure and can free it.

I agree: this field seems useless until we have a
descriptor::destroy_plugin(LADSPA_Descriptor*);
and indeed, that would be good, albeit late.

> >I'll check out dlsym() more carefully.
>
> I'm not sure if the NULL is invalid. At least one GNU mmap alloc routine
> checks the NULL case as well. Maybe data areas are different from functions,
> or OSes are different...

The ladspa plugin format already assumes NULL is invalid
(by virtue of leaving eg deactivate == NULL to indicate
"no implementation"; if NULL was valid, there would be no
way to specify it as a deactivate function...) I don't
see the connection to mmap either...