Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: O'Reilly

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: O'Reilly
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 18:23:18 EEST

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> IMHO, there is always room for another book. Dave has written the book
> alone over a long period. I mean: (i) Things are changing fast and when
> a possible new book comes out, Steinberg might already be selling Linux
> versions of their products, etc. The story just won't stop. (ii) A slightly
> different kind of book (and more indepth) might be achieved if the book
> would be written by multiple authors. Dave is a musician, and I'm sure
> as an engineer minded person, I will find his book missing many interesting
> topics (and only after his book is released). With multiple authors a broader
> view could be achieved and people could cross review or even write together.

Agreed, of course. My book is probably of slighter interest to the
contributors to LAD, the ALSA developers list, music-dsp, etc. Which is
not to say it's devoid of interest to them, but indeed it's targeted to a
more general audience of users.

I've already outlined a book such as you describe, Juhana. And I also
agree that it should be written by the larger community. My first book is
decidedly less technical than one written by developers, and there is
certainly a need for an up to date technical guide to the Linux audio and
MIDI systems. The members of this group would obviously be a primary
resource for that book.

> Sure it is worth of checking what Dave misses in his book.

I'm preparing my cross now... ;)

I'll save you some time: The most glaring omissions include ecasound,
Ardour, Trommler, and PD. There's very little material regarding
programming the Linux audio system directly. Some applications are
reviewed that are no longer supported. Some applications are reviewed in
quite out-of-date versions (though the basic material remains valid and
useful). The reviews themselves are often insufficiently critical.
The screenshots aren't in color. There's too much emphasis on X
applications.

I'm sure I'll be reminded of more... ;)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips