Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best audio capture card for Linux?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best audio capture card for Linux?
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 07:13:53 EEST

>I'm planning to buy a good professional quality audio recording card for
>Linux, and would appreciate any pointers to good cards that are well
>supported under Linux. (I'm a sound recording newbie, but longtime Linux
>hacker.)

depends how many channels you need, and whether you plan to use an
external a/d converter and/or d/a converted. to be frank, if you want
to do professional work, an external a/d is a must to avoid the RF
noise picked up by putting the a/d converter inside the computer.

If the cards I know, the RME Hammerfall (or Hammerfall Light) is a
great card, with 24 channels of ADAT i/o and 2 channels of S/PDIF
i/o. The "light" has just 16 channels of ADAT + 2 S/PDIF. They may
both be overkill for you, however.

RME make some other nice cards that have ALSA drivers, but have analog
i/o as well.

Several people are using the Midiman delta cards. I have no knowledge
of them.

--p