Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour & snd: the saga begins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour & snd: the saga begins
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 00:01:52 EEST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
(re. edit decision lists)

> Snd already supports this. People use to windows/MacOS apps might find
> the way its done a little strange,

Or they might not find it at all!
What do you do, type scheme into the Listener? I can't find any
mention of nondestructive editing, or edit decision lists, in the
Snd docs...

In fact I feel like there's a lot more to snd than I can figure out,
in general. I wish there was a comprehensive tutorial. I'd write one
if I understood it better. :)

> >So far I know of only two Linux apps that use EDLs: Mix and
> >Broadcast 2000. You might want to look at their file formats, if
> >only to see what you'd like to do different.
>
> I don't plan to do much other than use snd's stuff right now. And
> since snd use guile (i.e. scheme), these things can be arbitrarily
> complex.

So if you save an EDL from Snd, you save a text file containing
scheme code?

> Note that the equivalent to some of the things you sent as examples
> are covered by "envelopes" in snd, and these can be applied in the
> frequency domain (i.e. filtering) as well as the time domain.

Sure. Mix and Broadcast support that kind of thing too. In fact I
think envelopes need to be useable for plugin controls too. Once you
can control volume, pan, filtering, and plugins, you have the basis
for a complete virtual studio. I know you're focusing on the
recording end and using your Mackie for mixing & effects, but many
of us don't have much gear. :)

> ># here's a sound clip at time 0.000 in track 1
> >sound /home/pw/Sounds/drum-like/mouthkick1.wav 0.000 1 1
> >
> ># here's a sound clip at time 0.357 in track 2
> >sound /home/pw/Sounds/drumachines/perc/loconga.wav 0.357
> >2 1
>
> I have no particular plans to support the merging of external files
> into ardour/snd. snd-in-ardour will retain the capabilities to do
> this, but i don't want to encourage it too much, certainly not at
> first.
>
> ardour/snd works with the notion of a "tape", which is a directory of
> identically sized files (currently only in RIFF/WAV format, but thats
> just a detail). it doesn't operate on individual sound files. thats
> one of the major differences between snd-in-ardour and snd itself, and
> a necessary one to avoid the snd-in-ardour stuff from being incredibly
> intimidating.

> it may well be that once i get everything working between snd+ardour
> (i.e. playback uses the result of snd's machinations), this kind of
> restriction will evaporate. i have a few hints of that being likely,
> but I don't want to promise anything just yet.

Understood. I do think it's a worthwhile goal, though. I quite like
bcast 2000 except for how often it crashes. :)

OK, how about the ability to use snd-in-ardour to create a new
"track" on "tape"? That would at least allow you to work around lack
of support for "external" files in ardour, at the expense of using
more disk space than accessing the "external" files...

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
A member of ARMS -----> http://www.reacharms.com
or http://www.mp3.com/arms or http://www.amp3.net/arms
personal page ----> http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo