Re: [linux-audio-dev] rough rough ladspa docs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] rough rough ladspa docs
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 23:36:32 EEST

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

>>Now we should just keep on promoting LADSPA,
> Sorry but promoting LADSPA would be partly a bad idea.

Here we go again. Careful design is important, but it doesn't
change the fact the programming _is_ an iterative process.
You just can't come up with a perfect design, and then implement
it. There's always room for improvement.

In open-source environment it's better to have a living API than a static
API nobody uses. Linux kernel and ALSA are good examples of this policy.
They are constantly developed and APIs are altered if needed. With
careful use of version numbers and documentation, this approach is
something you can live with.

If we don't start to use LADSPA now...
 - we have no plugin API; people want make music _now_!
 - we won't get any feedback from other developers (concerning
   the API, and possible further development)

> What happened to the matters I wrote about? Removing the malloced
> stuff? Already somebody claimed it is difficult to change the LADSPA
> for getting the stuff removed properly.

Well, this is what happens, if we don't have anything concrete (apps,
plugins, some real work done with them). When you're busy, these
theoretical discussions don't get as much attention.

> If we go even further in promoting the LADSPA as it would be 1.0 version,
> we end up more problems when we find more problems from it. LADSPA 1.0
> simply is not yet good enough to be as 1.0 version, sorry. You fixed it
> a way too quickly to 1.0. Specially that is bad because to most of you,
> "1.0" means the same as "changes goes to 2.0".

Uh, this is always difficult. I'd like LADSPA to be a living API. We start
using it now, and if and when we encounter problems, we fix them and
increment the version number. As I see it, this is how open-source works.
Binary-plugin authors might wait for 2.0 release, but we can worry about
that later...

--
Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .