Re: [linux-audio-dev] rough rough ladspa docs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] rough rough ladspa docs
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 23:49:50 EEST

On Sun, 14 May 2000, David Benson wrote:

> For example, I am going to propose a semantical
> change for LADSPA_PROPERTY_HARD_RT_CAPABLE
[...]
> The plugin will not block on I/O.

Hmm, I don't think that's enough. From ladspa.h:

--cut--
   (4) The plugin will take an amount of time to execute a run() or
   run_adding() call approximately of form (A+B*SampleCount) where A
   and B depend on the machine and host in use. This amount of time
   may not depend on input signals or plugin state. The host is left
   the responsibility to perform timings to estimate upper bounds for
   A and B. */
--cut--

This requirement is critical in a hard-realtime environment.

> I'd also like to make LADSPA_PROPERTY_INPLACE_BROKEN
> the default and cut the flag.

This is also problematic. Many programs (including ecasound) always
process sample data inplace.

--
Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .