Re: [linux-audio-dev] rough rough ladspa docs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] rough rough ladspa docs
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 01:24:43 EEST

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Sun, 14 May 2000, David Benson wrote:
>
> > For example, I am going to propose a semantical
> > change for LADSPA_PROPERTY_HARD_RT_CAPABLE
> [...]
> > The plugin will not block on I/O.
>
> Hmm, I don't think that's enough. From ladspa.h:

arrgh, you were a few mins earlier than me. :-)

> > I'd also like to make LADSPA_PROPERTY_INPLACE_BROKEN
> > the default and cut the flag.
>
> This is also problematic. Many programs (including ecasound) always
> process sample data inplace.

What do you do if you load a INPLACE_BROKEN plugin ?
(exit app or produce corrupted audio ?)

Anyway it's simple to add INPLACE_BROKEN support, quite easy,
see my multidatatype code.

Kai, how do you stand to the INPLACE_BROKEN flag ?
(hopefully you agree that is the best way to leave it as is)

My code is a simple example where the lack of this flag limits you
greatly.

VST doesn't have INPLACE_BROKEN, and I am sure that for certain
problems, the inplace processing requirement puts much additional
work to plugin developers, leading to sub-optimal implementations.
(you have to save data into intermediate buffers because you
need that stuff later , ecc)

As for the malloc() issue by Juhana, I don't see big problems,
just set up static structures, and alloc the stuff at later stages.

Juhana, can you please explain me what exactly worries you in the
init stage ? (memory usage, speed ecc)

Benno.