Re: [linux-audio-dev] rough rough ladspa docs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] rough rough ladspa docs
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 01:55:36 EEST

>From: Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi>
>
>Here we go again. Careful design is important, but it doesn't
>change the fact the programming _is_ an iterative process.
>You just can't come up with a perfect design, and then implement
>it. There's always room for improvement.

We were talking about memory leaks! Being unable to release the memory.

If we get series of LADSPA 1.0 plug-ins, they have to be rewritten.
OK, Alsa has worked the same way: everything needs to be rewritten, but
Alsa is not at version 1.0!
                       ^^^
I agree any development works by incrementing version number but starting
it from 1.0 is silly.

>If we don't start to use LADSPA now...
> - we have no plugin API; people want make music _now_!
> - we won't get any feedback from other developers (concerning
> the API, and possible further development)

Is it not enough that we have plenty of developers on this mailing list?

I think it is better to put the card on the table: Knuth wrote his TeXBook
with TeX before he distributed the TeX widely. We have nothing but memory
leaking hosts and plug-ins. Knuth figured out that TeX would not be as
popular as it is now if he had written the TeXBook with different
text processor.

Lets keep the LADSPA still our little secret! It is better to call people
to linux-audio-dev than get negative feedback from outsiders.

Juhana