Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour & snd: the saga begins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour & snd: the saga begins
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 01:40:38 EEST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> 1) non-destructive editing: all editing in snd is non-destructive.
> However, saving the result in a non-destructive way is not so
> obvious (as you, and I, have discovered). Its the 'save state'
> option.

Oh excellent. I'll go try that!

> 2) edit decision lists: this essentially what gets saved when
> you save a non-destructive edit. it may need tweaking to
> have exactly the same semantics as the EDL's you're familiar with.

Or maybe I just need to finally learn scheme. :^p

> >In fact I feel like there's a lot more to snd than I can figure out,
> >in general. I wish there was a comprehensive tutorial. I'd write one
> >if I understood it better. :)
>
> Yes, its a deep, deep program. My goal right now (other than the
> multichannel and SND_AS_WIDGET stuff) is to create a long, shallow
> beach in which many people can play with realizing they are standing
> on the edge of the Marinas Trench :)

This is a highly worthy goal. I keep using DAP for quick edits just
because many of the mundane generic editing tasks are easier for me
to remember how to do.

> >for a complete virtual studio. I know you're focusing on the
> >recording end and using your Mackie for mixing & effects, but many
> >of us don't have much gear. :)
>
> somebody else (again, i'll them them speak up they want to) has talked
> about writing a mixer app that could also be incorporated into
> ardour.

This would be very, very nice, especially if it understood the same
scheme EDL's. Good luck and thank you, whoever you are. :)

> also, despite my mackie, i *do* want to have ladspa support, so we
> will definitely have some plugin support.

Glad to hear it.

> >OK, how about the ability to use snd-in-ardour to create a new
> >"track" on "tape"? That would at least allow you to work around lack
> >of support for "external" files in ardour, at the expense of using
> >more disk space than accessing the "external" files...
>
> Nope. Tapes get created via an interface in ardour. Their size (# of
> files/tracks) remains constant. At least for now. Its not that its
> hairy to add this kind of stuff, but it threatens the assumptions that
> everything has been written with so far, and thats dangerous to do.

OK, so how about writing the output of "snd-in-ardour" into an
*existing* track which I've left blank for that purpose? If I can't
even to _that_, I don't know what good it is to have an editor in
ardour at all. :)

> But don't worry, you'll be able to do what I think you want to do
> pretty easily when the dust settles.

cool. I'm not trying to rush you, just trying to see what direction
you're going and give you some enthusiastic nudges.

Paul, if I had a million bucks, one thing I would do is try to hire
you to implement this
portable-rackmounted-effects-box-cum-synthesizer-
cum-recorder-that's-really-a-full-blown-linux-workstation device
I've been dreaming about.

I think there are very few technical issues left in the way of
making such a device... (kernel latency needs to be finally really
solved!)
Sure it's nice to buy a $1000 effects unit from Yamaha or Roland or
whoever and get all their years of R&D in the presets, but in the
long run, I'd rather have something I can program, because *none* of
those gadgets can do some of the things I'd like to as far as
effects routing, and you can't make them better in two years just by
replacing the CPU. Also you can't check your email with them after
the show. :)

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.