Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour & snd: the saga begins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour & snd: the saga begins
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 02:16:13 EEST

>> obvious (as you, and I, have discovered). Its the 'save state'
>> option.
>
>Oh excellent. I'll go try that!

Lead the way. Tell me what you find :)

>OK, so how about writing the output of "snd-in-ardour" into an
>*existing* track which I've left blank for that purpose? If I can't

that will work just fine. but keep in mind that my goal here isn't
*mixdown*. i know that you need to do that along the way, but that
will be a later goal. i'm trying to provide ardour with *editing*. in
my own life (at least in the studio) the result goes over 24 channels
to the mackie and from there it gets routed to the main L/R bus, out
to S/PDIF onto various other media (or back to the Hammerfall). But
don't worry, I *know* you don't have that. It will just a later goal.

>even to _that_, I don't know what good it is to have an editor in
>ardour at all. :)

fade-in, fade-out, creating "loops", doubling up material, inserting
silence, etc. etc. i know you really didn't mean it, but ...

>Paul, if I had a million bucks, one thing I would do is try to hire
>you to implement this
>portable-rackmounted-effects-box-cum-synthesizer-
>cum-recorder-that's-really-a-full-blown-linux-workstation device
>I've been dreaming about.

its OK, amazon.com hired me a few years ago, and now i'm working on
this for free :)

i mean come on: put the pieces together: quasimodo, softwerk,
hammerfall driver, ardour (+ snd): what is it you think i'm doing
here, eh ?

i've actually toyed with the idea of starting a business to do this,
but i've decided that i like the purity of things as they are right
now. no business plan, no employees, just 200 email messages a day and
a lot of hacking. its possible that i may end up selling some of this
stuff, but it will obviously be under a GPL license, so i'd just have
to rely on the honor of a few people to pay me rather than CheapBytes :)

OTOH, if you want to send cash now, thats fine too :))

--p

ps. Will Work For New Studio Monitors. Just kidding. I blew mine last
    month.