[linux-audio-dev] CORBA for Audio Apps?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] CORBA for Audio Apps?
From: Dustin Barlow (dbarlow_AT_omnids.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 05:22:32 EEST

I have been doing some n-tier system development for Sprint ION using
Hitachi's C++ implementation of CORBA (TPBroker) on Sun boxes and was just
curious to know if anyone has implemented any real time or non-real time
audio systems using the CORBA specification?

I know that both GNOME and KDE use ORBit to implement system level messaging
between apps. I can't help wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are
to using CORBA to implement a n-tier audio production system. CORBA allows
developers to use C, C++, Java, Smalltalk, Ada, LISP, Python etc.. to
develop client, middle tier and server side functionality that can be ran on
single or multiple physical machines each of which can be running a variety
of OSes. I would be interested in all of your opinions on the matter.

dustin barlow