Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update (http://www.ladspa.org)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update (http://www.ladspa.org)
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 17:00:49 EEST

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> Hello. Forgot to ask how I should use random functions in plug-ins?
> I think the host should initialize the random function and all plug-ins
> should just call the random function, not initialize it.
>
> Should this property be part of the LADSPA standard? Because it is difficult
> to guess if random functions are initialized or not. "/dev/random" would
> be better but too slow.
>
> What if each plug-in initializes with srand()? How they interfere each
> other's behaviour?
>
> By the way, if it did not became clear: it is suggested that all audio
> generators etc. should use a common random number generator for best
> results.
>
> Juhana

I think that the interference is not that big as you think.
IMHO it is not a big deal if only one or multiple plugins call
srand() at init time, with a seed based on the current time.
( time() )

Plus if all plugins run in the same thread (the host process),
they in fact use a single random generator source.

Benno.