Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update (http://www.ladspa.org)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update (http://www.ladspa.org)
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 19:22:51 EEST

> -What are the correct steps that a C host must take in order to be able to run
none.
> C++ plugins.
> -(exact linking options or runtime loading of C++ libs etc)
see below.
> - eventual special programming guidelines
???

> This should REALLY go into the official LADSPA documentation, so that
> we might save some trouble later, because suddenly we will have
> 10 LADSPA C-host developer complaining that the kickass-foobar C++
> plugin doesn't run on their hosts.
agreed; i added the following section to the docs
(this version isn't published yet):

  3.4.5. Building LADSPA plugins

  The process of building plugins is extremely nonportable, but we give
  commands to compile a LADSPA plugin using the GNU tools.

  If your plugin is a simple C plugin, try using commands like:

           gcc -fPIC -DPIC -Wall -O2 -c -o my_plugin.o my_plugin.c
           ld -shared -o my_plugin.so my_plugin.o

  If your plugin uses C++, it is far easier to use g++ to find the
  various library that are needed:

           g++ -fPIC -DPIC -shared -o my_plugin.so my_plugin.cc

  Otherwise non-C++ hosts won't have the c++ library loaded.

suggestions?

- Dave