Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update (http://www.ladspa.org)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update (http://www.ladspa.org)
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 18:02:00 EEST

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2000, Richard W.E. Furse wrote:
>
> > I've shelled out for a decent bandwidth website for LADSPA material. See
> > http://www.ladspa.org. The CMT plugin library has moved there too - this
> > now includes Ambisonic support.
> [...]
> > I've also ported Jezar's excellent Freeverb reverb to LADSPA from VST. This
>
> Whoa! :) Once again, you've done a great job. I just added support for
> LADSPA_PATH and primitive support for multichannel plugins to ecasound
> (1.7.8d12 + CVS). Multichannel-support is used if 'in-audio-ports ==
> out-audio-ports == channels-of-audio' is true. I also tested all currently
> available plugins (SDK, CMT and Freeverb) with ecasound and all worked
> fine.
>
> > As C++ was used, the plugin library references the standard C++ library for
> > supporting functions - specifically version 2.9 if I remember correctly.
> > Does this mean that the plugin will ONLY work with 2.9? This is a bit of
>
> Yep, this is a bit problematic, but luckily most distributions come with
> multiple versions of libstdc++. For instance libstdc++-2.9.0-24 that comes
> with RedHat 6.1 provides 2.7, 2.8 and 2.9. When the new libstdc++-v3 gets
> stable, things should become easier for everyone. After all, we do have
> the C++ standard nowadays. ;)

Sorry I am a bit lost in this whole running C++ plugins within a C host.

Can someone please post a quick summary of the situation here:

-What are the correct steps that a C host must take in order to be able to run
C++ plugins.
-(exact linking options or runtime loading of C++ libs etc)
- eventual special programming guidelines

This should REALLY go into the official LADSPA documentation, so that
we might save some trouble later, because suddenly we will have
10 LADSPA C-host developer complaining that the kickass-foobar C++
plugin doesn't run on their hosts.

Benno.