Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 20:29:29 EEST

> This is the wrong way around, I think, for LADSPA. The ports are
> simple, indivisible data types (e.g. float), for efficiency's
> sake. There is no way to connect anything to them and expect any kind
> of notification that they've changed. This is why your point about
> having the host construct and run the GUI is well-taken: it can both
> drive the port values when relevant GUI events happen, and drive both
> the GUI and the port values in the case of automated playback of
> events.

I don't see a way around it.
What other mechanisms are there but:

1. the LADSPA format specifies "control changed hooks" (a way to add
   a function pointer to connect_port)
2. the sound-data reader (read host) observes when the controls change
   and does something standardized with them (emits a signal or whatever)
3. the ui polls the port. (polling sucks)

I vote for poison #2.

- dave