Re: [linux-audio-dev] Virtual Sliders Considered Harmful

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Virtual Sliders Considered Harmful
From: Aaron Thieme (ghede_AT_well.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 00:33:38 EEST

</lurk>

> * Bind a text box and a slider; if you like, toggle between
> displaying each.

I agree whole heartedly (as a user) with this commentary.

A similiar notion --
   * bind a pop-up slider to a knob. The knob looks familiar. The slider
is useable. When the control is active horizontal or verticle mouse
movement turns the "knob" for you.

> * Give the slider ranges; make it controllable from coarse to fine.

The most elegant solution i've used to this is to nonlinearity based on
proximity to the control center, or to the velocity of movement.

Also, I am a huge fan of novel interfaces that make familiar tasks -- with
a traditional way of doing them -- more obvious / intuitive /hwht have
you.

Favorite example is the parametric EQs in C-Mexx's C-Console. It shows
you color-coded curves for each eq band, and the final summed eq curve in
bold/black. You can click and drag the curves to move their center freq
and gain. This is all interpreted in real time. There are also numerical
readouts and knobs (which sadly are the only way to adjust Q)...

Mixing applications in particular seem to have a lot of untapped, visual
ways of working that bare little resemblance to traditional audio gear
interfaces. Why there aren't more of them out there, I don't know...
people seem to fear that something that doesn't look like a Mackie is
going to scare/intimidate musicians. Sigh. People are buying that "jam
pad" with the x/y paramater touch pad, right?

best,
aaron
<lurk>

  ghede_AT_well.com