Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 00:21:08 EEST

> >That means if you run hundreds of plugins, there will be only
> >3 threads/processes active.
> >-the host-DSP thread which calls the plugin DSP callbacks.
> >-the gtk-thread which simply loaded all gtk-widgets of the gtk-based plugins
> >-the Qt thread (same behaviour as above)
>
> So, you propose to run with multiple X server connections, eh ? Do you
> know for sure that this works ?

Actually, I suspect you *can* have qt and gtk+
coexist with two X connections with little or no problems.
(er untested conjecture sorry)

It's only the fact that gtk+ (and maybe kde) store the
XDisplay as a global that screws up opening per-plugin
connections.

I think this Benno's approach is not right on other grounds --
namely that it skirts the "which gui toolkit" by picking the
*two* most popular. (Begging the question: why two? why
discriminate against wxwindows, lefftif, sdl, libsvga,
libggi, nano-x, etc, etc?)

- Dave