[linux-audio-dev] Problem with XML for LADSPA GUI?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Problem with XML for LADSPA GUI?
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 00:27:16 EEST

Hi there - glad to see such interest in LADSPA GUIs. I think there's a
certain amount of arguing about nothing going on - all good food for
thought however!

I have a question about XML which a lot of people seem to be pushing as a
framework for LADSPA GUI design. I don't know enough about XML - I hope
this hasn't been discussed already (there's been too much to read in detail
while moving job and flat...).

Adding a GUI to a plugin has a cosmetic purpose, but can also perform a
useful function. An obvious example is [1] a graphical filter designer
(such as is built into the main GUI of Snd). This requires some reasonably
sophisticated underlying logic to allow the user to move the 'fixed' filter
response points and plot the frequency response curve that will actually be
implemented by the particular algorithm in use.

A simple example is [2] an Ambisonic encoder plugin (as present in the CMT
at present) - this spatialises sounds in 3D. A good interface to this will
include a perspective plot of the sound location using a mini 3D engine. We
can see any number of other examples in this vein - a project of mine that
I've been putting off for a while [3] allows a user to drag poles and zeros
around on an Argand diagram and see and hear the filter response.

Can we / How do we express GUIs for these three plugins in XML?

-- Richard