RE: [linux-audio-dev] Problem with XML for LADSPA GUI?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Problem with XML for LADSPA GUI?
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 11:36:37 EEST

Thanks for the info.

In this case, and as a musician, I have no interest in an XML-based LADSPA
GUI. As a Linux enthusiast it's a useful marketing tool, but we've
successfully stripped the potential API of most of its real musical
usefulness.

I've just flicked through the Sound Forge menus to find out how many
component GUI's we could not render using XML (as I understand it). This is
a rather old version of Sound Forge so things are probably worse now. Linux
would *not* be able to provide the following GUIs:

        EQ (Paragraphic)
        EQ (Parametric)
        Fade (Graphic)
        Pan/Expand
        Multi-tap Delay
        Dynamics (Graphic)
        Dynamics (Multiband)
        Envelope
        Pitch (Bend)

I don't know if XML allows calculations (i.e. the value in a field depends
on other inputs). If it doesn't then we also lose the following:

        Gapper/Snipper
        Pitch Shift
        Time Compress/Expand

This is about a quarter of the items present and includes many of the
useful ones. This means that we end up with a GUI that is vastly inferior
to Windows. Possibly pretty, maybe even sexy, but basically useless.

I hope I have the right end of the stick here - I'm a little scared by the
fact that other people aren't clamouring about this one...

-- Richard