RE: [linux-audio-dev] Problem with XML for LADSPA GUI?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Problem with XML for LADSPA GUI?
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 19:00:30 EEST

Apologies for the choice of Sound Forge rather than VST - just the audio
tool to hand and the paradigm is only really different from the unit
generator/VST/LADSPA mentality for a few plugins (as you say, time-shift
dependent ones). I believe this is how a modern user should expect the GUI
for a DSP algorithm to appear anyway, so the point is moot (from my
viewpoint).

I think restricting the GUI to be purely 'passive' (i.e. user's changes
only) would be a terrible waste. 'Active' GUIs that can feed information
back to the user in response to changes (graphs, diagrams, text etc) are
much more useful. I'm rather assuming that there are active VST GUIs out
there - do people have experience of such things?

VST does have a drawing API that works on Windows, Mac and Motif. We
shouldn't have difficulty producing something equivalent - hopefully
better, although we have more graphical contexts to deal with: perhaps we
should aim initially to be compatible with Gtk, Qt and Java and then take
it from there. Any other takers at this stage? [BTW, Xavier Hosxe has been
writing a LADSPA Java wrapper.]

-- Richard