Re: [linux-audio-dev] Problem with XML for LADSPA GUI?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Problem with XML for LADSPA GUI?
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 04:25:31 EEST

> Hi there - glad to see such interest in LADSPA GUIs. I think there's a
> certain amount of arguing about nothing going on - all good food for
> thought however!

just par for the course!

> Can we / How do we express GUIs for these three plugins in XML?

xml is just a data file -- it is a lot like html, but more
regular, standardized and geared toward generic data presentation.

so it cannot really conveniently express ideas like
a turing machine -- rather you have to build ideas
up out of subcomponents.

this by-and-large precludes gui effects like all those you describe.

but we may allow the .xml to refer to abstract widget types,
in which case it may be possible to supply a custom
widget (in whatever toolkits) with the plugin.
this would achieve the effect you want,
but we'd lose on the portability of that effect.

(obviously there's heavy tradeoffs down the path of extensible v. portable
when it comes to adding widget types)

(it also seems to me that the xml/abstract-widget idea
generally lead to equivalent, nice dsp-style widgets, that
might be reused amoungst plugins)

so, there's the answer: definately maybe!

- dave

ps. i think for xml to make sense, there would have
    to be a lot of plugins that can operate with
    host-standard widgets. but i think this is true.