[linux-audio-dev] Toolkit independance for visual plugins

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Toolkit independance for visual plugins
From: Karl JH Millar (kmillar_AT_MIT.EDU)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 05:26:07 EEST

Hi all,

There has been some discussion of using multiple toolkits simultaneously. I
think this is a terrible idea, even if it is possible. In overly complicates
things, and makes it very difficult, if not impossible for a plugin's display
to appear in the same toplevel window as other widgets.

For visual plugins (eg oscilloscopes) at least, I don't think a toolkit
should even be necessary. Since all they do is display data graphically, all
they need should be supplied by XIntrinsics (ok, this limits us to using X,
but I'm not bothered by that). Most commonly used toolkits allow one to get
access to the underlying XWindow of a widget, and the plugin can simply draw
in that. It's too long since I've programmed XIntrinsics, so I don't remember
if this also allows events to be captured.

In this way, visual plugins should be practical and toolkit independant without
us having to do a whole lot of work.

Does this help?

Karl.