Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 02:54:57 EEST

On Thu, 25 May 2000, David Benson wrote:
> > >That means if you run hundreds of plugins, there will be only
> > >3 threads/processes active.
> > >-the host-DSP thread which calls the plugin DSP callbacks.
> > >-the gtk-thread which simply loaded all gtk-widgets of the gtk-based plugins
> > >-the Qt thread (same behaviour as above)
> >
> > So, you propose to run with multiple X server connections, eh ? Do you
> > know for sure that this works ?
>
> Actually, I suspect you *can* have qt and gtk+
> coexist with two X connections with little or no problems.
> (er untested conjecture sorry)

the TWO connections run within TWO separate processes
TWO / TWO = ONE connection per process. :-)
That is the standard X11 application case.

> It's only the fact that gtk+ (and maybe kde) store the
> XDisplay as a global that screws up opening per-plugin
> connections.

non-issue: see above

> I think this Benno's approach is not right on other grounds --
> namely that it skirts the "which gui toolkit" by picking the
> *two* most popular. (Begging the question: why two? why
> discriminate against wxwindows, lefftif, sdl, libsvga,
> libggi, nano-x, etc, etc?)
>
> - Dave

No I am not discriminating anyone:
I say only that: if you want do use ABC toolkit in your plugin, be sure that:
- the ABC toolkit will be installed on your target box.
- the GUI-helper for the ABC toolkit is available (the gui plugin loader)

I said only that if you will use gtk or Qt, the chances are big that
99.9% of desktop users will have this installed.

writing in wxwindows, lefftif, sdl will cut out a part of the target audience,
especially newbies which do not know how do retrieve/install these
not-so-common toolkits.

But from a design POV, EVERY toolkit , even the not-yet-written ones
are supported.

I can't offer you more than this. :-)

Benno.