Re: [linux-audio-dev] Virtual Sliders Considered Harmful

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Virtual Sliders Considered Harmful
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 08:22:04 EEST

>This is a large part of why I believe the host should be largely responsible
>for constructing a graphical interface. If the plugin does it, and especially
>if the plugin does it with pixmaps, then these problems are very real, as the
>details of each element will vary from plugin to plugin.

Sorry Karl, but this is not *quite* true. If the plugin "does it" in
the sense of specifying a set of pixmaps to use, but the host actually
generates the widgets, then the control model for all the visual
elements will be consistent, even though the visual appearance will
probably not be.

This is another lesson from vstGUI, even if we use XML rather than C++
to specify the plugin's ideal GUI.

>Now the way the host creates the widgets could be a number of ways - hints
>as in the current LADSPA API, an XML description, or a LADSPA specific API
>which defines all the used objects. Any of these would allow the host to
>create a reasonable setup.

Ah, good, so we agree :)

--p