Re: [linux-audio-dev] normalize: destructive or non-destructive ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] normalize: destructive or non-destructive ?
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 20:15:16 EET

>what do you exactly mean by 'normalizing' ?
>
>I thought that it was "amplifying up to the fact that one sample
>reaches the max" So only one number has to be determined : the
>amp. gain.

See ?!!? *this* is why i love mailing lists like this. recall that i
wrote:

> am i missing something ?

and xavier has stepped in to say "yep!" thanks a lot. i just wasn't
thinking about this clearly enough (a problem over the last week or
two while i've been up all hours working on ardour).

i want to mention that gain curves/envelopes *are* (or will soon be :)
implemented sparsely. it was only normalize that seemed to present a
problem, and xavier has instantly corrected my mistake. OK, now time
to implement it as a menu item, etc.

--p