RE: [linux-audio-dev] some ide qs [was:Re: Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE]

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] some ide qs [was:Re: Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE]
From: Garth Brantley (garth_AT_fullduplex.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 07:43:44 EET

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Barton-Davis [mailto:pbd_AT_Op.Net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 10:22 PM
To: linux-audio-dev
Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some ide qs [was:Re: Interesting article
on SCSI vs. IDE]

>>does soft-raid on ide disks make sense when you have two disks per
>>channel ?
>>iirc, ide drives don't disconnect from the bus during seek times -
>>don't they block the other drive then ?
>>
>>i'm not at all sure how this works. the ultra-ata bus throughput
>>would be more than sufficient for two disks, but do they share the
>>bandwidth sensibly in soft-raid ?
>
>I've had some extensive conversations with the authors of that
>article. They are both experienced people, and have used DAW's and
>RAID systems for years. Their claim is that RAID and multi-disc stuff
>in general is irrelevant for the DAW scenario:that people today can
>regularly and fairly easily get 40-60 tracks from Windows98+ATA100,
>and that there is simply almost never any need for more tracks than
>that.

    I agree too! I have a bunch of cheap ide drives in 2 removable bays for
recording / working. This is by far the most convient system for me (short
of having many terabytes of storage available on a SAN). I also have
collected a bunch of older ide drives in the 10GB range for backing up
projects. I have all the removable drives neatly stacked and labeled.

 -Garth