Re: [linux-audio-dev] some ide qs [was:Re: Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some ide qs [was:Re: Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE]
From: Roger Larsson (roger.larsson_AT_norran.net)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 18:47:57 EET

Hi,

I added Andre as receiver of this message as he probably KNOWS the
answers.
I have to trust my memory...

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se wrote:
> >
> > Since I\'m very much pro IDE....wellllll it is cheaper....
> > I\'d just like to point to the new batch of motherboards on the market. Things
> > like the ABIT VP6, dual cpu board. Not only is it dirt cheap, it (and many
> > others to come, I presume) supports IDE RAID with ATA 100 disks in hardware !!
> > And with disks like the IBM GXP I can only imagine the disk throughput will be
> > astronomic.
>
> does soft-raid on ide disks make sense when you have two disks per
> channel ?
> iirc, ide drives don't disconnect from the bus during seek times -
> don't they block the other drive then ?

My understanding of this issue is that IDE has become more and more SCSI
like.
That soon the only difference is the physical interface.
(And ATA is going serial...)

If I remember correctly the new ATA 100 drives does disconnect - and
more...

> i'm not at all sure how this works. the ultra-ata bus throughput
> would be more than sufficient for two disks, but do they share the
> bandwidth sensibly in soft-raid ?

(If they do disconnect they would do ok)

/RogerL

--
Home page:
  http://www.norran.net/nra02596/