Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 19:41:24 EET

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 11:59:21AM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >Well, reverb is different, that is a stereo (output) effect, but...
>
> yes, this is an interesting dilemma for ardour. in fact, you could
> argue that reverb is really an N-channel effect, but is typically
> implemented with N=2. i really don't know how to do this in ardour's
> current model where each track is NOT panned to 2+ output channels,
> but is delivered directly to its output channel. this comes primarily
> because of its roots as recording device, not a mixer.
>
> i can see hints of a major redesign in the future ...

I had wondered how you were going to deal with this, for myself I'm not
worried yet, as I don't think that realtime intel reverbs are quite as
good as outboards yet, and they're the only stereo things I use.

IMHO a good model would be for the HDR and effects part of any software
to be conceptualy different modules, connected by a matrix:

        direct outs?
      | | | | | | | |
      |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|___|______|__
      |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|___|______|__
      | | | | | | | | | revR |
      |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|___| |
      | | | | | | | | | |
      |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|___| F |
      | | | | | | | | | X |
      |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|___|______|___
      |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|___| |
      | | | | | | | | | |
      |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|___|___ |
      |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|___|___| |
      | | | | | | | | |______|
      | | | | | | | |
     |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
     | HDR |
     |_______________|

Sorry, couldn't draw the matrix very well, but you get the idea, the
nodes can be either broken or connected.

Adding more effects makes the matrix taller. You get arbitary routings
without breaking the individual channel model of the HDR, and stereo
isn't a special case.

With simple gain plugins you can do channel merging too, for those of
us with few desk inputs.

I imagine the overhead would be large, but hey, you don't get anyting for
free ;)

- Steve

PS I have a +-1 octave FFT pitch shifter working, but I still have an odd
amplitude problem, if in amplitude is 1, out amplitude is anywhere between
0.5 and 2, depending on shift setting. Sounds nice though! If anyone has
any clues or thinks they might give me a shout.