Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 20:53:36 EET

>I had wondered how you were going to deal with this, for myself I'm not
>worried yet, as I don't think that realtime intel reverbs are quite as
>good as outboards yet, and they're the only stereo things I use.

well, i had this all solved in an old half-done app that i did last
two xmas-es ago, called "hdr" which had a complete
"channel/strip/bus/send/insert" design.

but ardour is *currently* designed around the notion that it is
outputting to a multichannel device, not stereo (or even 5.1) outs
(even if the number of channels is actually 2), and is therefore not
concerned with mixdown in any way. to use mixer terminology, we only
have inserts, no sends, no busses, no auxes. i think i got that right :)

once you start to allow for the idea that ardour (or any other app) is
actually doing the mixdown to stereo or 5.1 or whatever, things change
quite a bit. heh. it will happen.

--p