Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 22:42:55 EET

In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0011101953500.6815-100000_AT_frankiec.yi.org>you write:
>It seems to me like the way we do things in hardware is still the way to
>go. Patch bays provide the most flexibility. In most studios everything
>goes through the patch bay. My personal preference is to have the
>recorder be the recorder and the editor, the mixer to be the mixer, the
>patch bay be the patch bay, and the effects to be the effects.

talk to mackie about this. the D8B (and many other digital mixers) are
definitely heading in the opposite direction.

digital changes everything. first, non-zero latency. second, cost
savings. third, better integration and performance.

if it was analog, i'd agree with you entirely. but as is, even trying
to get a functioning digital patchbay seems more or less impossible
now, let alone connecting a whole bunch of external digital gear for
inserts, sends, etc.

--p