Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 13:03:59 EET

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 12:23:34AM +0000, frankiec_AT_unforgettable.com wrote:
> > if it was analog, i'd agree with you entirely. but as is, even trying
> > to get a functioning digital patchbay seems more or less impossible
> > now, let alone connecting a whole bunch of external digital gear for
> > inserts, sends, etc.
>
> I am not talking about something external. I am talking about the way
> software gets layed out. How is anyone going to understand the block
> diagram? It's very important to understand the signal chain. Software
> has been making this a blurry mess.

Agreed, thats why I liked my matrix patching idea, although I have to say
Paul's "stick an effect on each output" design is as clear as could be!

FWIW I personally don't want a mixer reimplemented inside my computer,
I don't imagine that a conventional mixer routing is very efficient
in software, plus it seems a bit of a waste to reimplement something
that can be done better externally. I feel that cubase fell down here, as
I thought thier virtual mixer+outboards model was over complicated and
wastefull, I never used most of the layers, as all I was doing was
sending channel 1 out of output 1.

With a quasimodo style "build your own mixer" design, now you're talking.

- Steve