Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 09:31:33 EET

On Thu, 09 Nov 2000, Steve Harris wrote:
> > * noise reduction
>
> No idea how to do that, I'll look for some papers on it, but my
> understanding is that it's CPU heavy.

Some simple methods are actually just "dynamic equalizers", or
multi-band dynamic processors. That is, split the signal up in a few
bands, process the dynamics of these bands individually (usually
noise gate style processing) and then mix them together.

Be careful with band pass filters and phase errors, though...

> > On the farther-off wishlist:
> >
> > * ring modulator
>
> Done it, both two input, one output (untested, cos I don't have host that
> will run it, but its not exactly complicated) and one input one output
> with LFOs.

I have some very basic variants too. A few sinewaves and a few of
these, and there's that weird FM hihat... :-)

> > * resonator(s)
>
> I don't know what one is, but there are a lot of papers on them about.

I have a 12 db/oct variant built around an algo I found in one of
these DSP algo sites. It needs replacing the coefficient
calculations (trig funcs) with faster approximations, and linear
interpolation of the coefficients, at least if it's goinng to be
modulated.

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'