Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 19:37:06 EET

>I was refering to the control surface issues. Agreed you can have
>equivalent functionality on paper, but I like shoving sliders about.

Ah, yes me too.

>Plus my home computer is not going to equal the amount of horsepower my
>mixer can throw at things for a good few years.

Depends. In the digital domain, don't underestimate your "home"
computer. A Mackie D8B by default has only 1 DSP card in it. It can do
a lot, but not as much as quad athlon will be able to, and i expect
those in year or so. I can't recall how much Mackie wants for extra
DSP cards.

[ full featured strip description ]

yup, sounds like the plan.

>What are the restrictions in making something that integrates with
>ardour's GUI? Does it have to be part of the same binary?

near-term: impossible as a plugin

long term: if we can come to a consensus (preferably around the XML
             GUI spec that David Benson and I were advocating in the spring)
           on how to provide a GUI spec for LADSPA, it would
           be fairly easy to do as a plugin

>> The final part of this whole puzzle, which some of you may have
>> guessed at already, is how to get a program like Quasimodo to be an
>> input or output for something like Ardour. I have 90% of this solved
>> already ...
>
>Good Stuff! Thats what I wanted to hear. I imagine you could do it with a
>'fake' ALSA device, but then comes the dreaded L word.

Nah. This is much more like:

     /* use Quasimodo as a pre-mixdown FX box for track3 */

     plugin = LADSPA::load ("quasimodo");
     plugin->connect_port (LADSPA::Input, 0, track3);
     plugin->connect_port (LADSPA::Output, 0, mixer3);

Basically, I see the ALSA::MultiChannelDevice object in ardour as the
pivot point of a LADSPA/VST host, and everything else in ardour (and
quasimodo, and other things) converted to regular LADSPA plugins. But
this is a ways off right now.

But the GUI stuff is really critical for this, and at this time, we
don't seem close to a consensus on how LADSPA should do this. Anyone
want to revisit this area ?

--p