Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 19:58:51 EET

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 12:37:06PM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >Plus my home computer is not going to equal the amount of horsepower my
> >mixer can throw at things for a good few years.
>
> Depends. In the digital domain, don't underestimate your "home"
> computer. A Mackie D8B by default has only 1 DSP card in it. It can do
> a lot, but not as much as quad athlon will be able to, and i expect
> those in year or so. I can't recall how much Mackie wants for extra
> DSP cards.

Simple extrapolation wouldn't suggest this (though my home machine is a
comparativly humble 400Mhz celeron), my (cheap) digital desk can run 40
dynamics processors, 200-odd bands of parametric, 24 meters, reverb and
chorus without breaking sweat. Running cubase my PC can just about do
some dodgy EQ and (actually quite nice) compressors, as long as you
don't want to change the parameters in realtime. The latency is still
chronic (with a korg 1212 and asio 2 drivers). Obviously the PC is doing
my multitracking at the moment, which has to hurt, but that is what I
want ardour for anyway.

I'm guessing that SMP realy helps, but I can't see it helping *that*
much.

> >What are the restrictions in making something that integrates with
> >ardour's GUI? Does it have to be part of the same binary?
>
> near-term: impossible as a plugin
>
> long term: if we can come to a consensus (preferably around the XML
> GUI spec that David Benson and I were advocating in the spring)
> on how to provide a GUI spec for LADSPA, it would
> be fairly easy to do as a plugin

OK, thats fine, I'm just uneasy about *the* channel strip being a
1st class object. It's a good metaphor, but a pointless one IMHO.

[quasimodo and ardour]

Priving quasimodo as a plugin sounds great. I'm assuming it will allow
you to attach >1 ardour channels to the same quasimodo net, and allow
outside inputs from ALSA? Or is this too tricky to implement in LADSPA
plugins?

> But the GUI stuff is really critical for this, and at this time, we
> don't seem close to a consensus on how LADSPA should do this. Anyone
> want to revisit this area ?

Yes. I'm reading the discussion now, I'll inevitably chip in with my
opinions once I've digested it. http://eca.cx/lad/2000/May/, for anyone
else who wasn't here then.

- Steve