Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 20:59:18 EET

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Paul Winkler wrote:

> The modular approach is appealing on a gut level. Monolithic apps get
> annoying when you wish you could just use your favorite product X
> which is always better than the built-in one provided by
> BloatedProductY. Silly example: Here I am typing email in Netscape

One way to approach modularity is the old UNIX way of doing things: files.
For me, working on a piece of music means working on a set of wav files,
and more specifically, wav files containing n-channels of audio starting
from offset 0 (global song position).

This approach gives me complete control. I record material with one app,
export the tracks as individual files, use various fx-processing tools
(most can process files), import the track to another app (possibly on
some other platform), etc, etc. I never overwrite any recorded material.
If I need to do edits, I save the modified tracks in separate files.

I guess the biggest downsides are 1) requires lots of disk space,
2) you need to keep track of all the files, and 3) only one app in
rt-use at a time. As for (1), well, not a big deal really with today's
harddrives. For (2), hhm, if you can't keep track of a few dozens
of files, you really shouldn't be mixing :). (3) is a real issue,
and so far the only solution seems to be host+plugins based solution.

One thing I've noticed is that when I tell about this approach to other
musicians, I always get that "poor guy, Linux doesn't have
Word, so he has to use emacs and those other archaic tools" look
from them. No matter how hard I try, they don't seem to believe
that this really is how I like to work nowadays. Arrggh! ;)