RE: Plugin chains and EDLs, was Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: RE: Plugin chains and EDLs, was Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 23:16:38 EET

Yep, this is quite doable in principle (MN has been doing it for a couple
of years). I've been meaning to write something like that for LADSPA - I've
been putting a small amount of time into a project called PNet (peanut)
which was/is intended to contain the following three simple components:

A graphical PNet network editor that allows networks of LADSPA plugins to
be loaded, edited and saved.
A program that turns a PNet network into a single self-contained binary
LADSPA plugin.
A program that turns a few PNet networks into the block diagram of a
real-time MIDI synth.

The core (concept bit) of this is written and I'm happy with it. I've
mainly been held up by my lack of expertise with the Linux GUI libraries (I
cannot even remember which library I ended up using). And lack of time! If
anyone has the time and energy to work on this and doesn't mind putting up
with my design style then this was/is GPL anyway and I'm more than happy
for assistance. This is not a difficult project.

The persistence form of the PNet network was going to be a simple binary
form (if I remember correctly I wrote that bit), but I'm very happy for us
to agree on a mutual standard (binary, XML or whatever). It's pretty
trivial given what one can and cannot do with LADSPA plugins.

--Richard