Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 14:40:53 EET

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 11:15:54PM +0200, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
>
> > I hope so. I try to always be open to the ideas and contributions of
> > others. As yet, however, Kai is the only other person operating in
> > this universe, and his goals and design space are pretty different
> > from mine. There's been lots of discussions of things that probably
> > *should* be a part of Ardour, but very little or no code. Thats OK
> > - I'll just keep waking up bleary-eyed but razzed with excitement.
>
> But of course, as time passes, sooner or later someone with the right kind
> of itch will notice Ardour and join the effort.

I certainly hope so. However, I for one, have the same itch, but I havn't
contributed to Ardour for a few reasons:

1. I'm not good enough. I don't know much about audio hardware, certainly
not enough to help with that part - which seems to be very important
from what I have seen on alsa-devel.

2. I've never done any C++, and I don't like it as a language.

3. Paul seems to be dong very well. There is always the fear that he will
loose interest or whatever, but I do think that project benefit from
having one person who is very good having total up to v. 1.0

4. I can't get ALSA to compile. Silly, but important. I think it's
RedHat's kernel's fault, but recompiling a stock kernel is not the simple
thing it once was.

That said, I hope that the plugins I'm writing will be of some help, and
I intend to write a simple palmtop control interface, when points 2 and 4
are met (proably after 1.0.0 though).

- Steve