[linux-audio-dev] ardour is now a (not well designed) multichannel FX box

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] ardour is now a (not well designed) multichannel FX box
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 17:34:52 EET

 [ dup'ed from ardour-dev, for those who might care just enough ]

OK, so the underlying design is all wrong, but I just added the code
to Ardour to get "passthru+FX mode" working. if you enable this
option, no data is moved to or from disk; instead, ardour just picks
up the data from channel N, feeds it through a plugin chain if any,
and sends it back out to channel M (its likely that N == M).

Now, there is no correct support for stereo FX, and at the moment,
this requires a "tape" to be loaded. To do this correctly will take a
shift to the "mixer-ish" topology that I'm planning in the back of my
head.

But, even so: wow :) A 16 channel delay unit ? Thats, what, US$400
right there ... except they don't even exist :)

--p