[linux-audio-dev] latency report

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] latency report
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 04:59:42 EET

OK lad-folks. the news is good. i finally got to test 2.4.0-test9 with
andrew morton's lowish latency patch. i can run ardour at 2.5msec
latency, with a 4 way C++ compile+link, and never see a single xrun! I
tried going to a 6 way compile, and the link step (of ardour itself)
did cause a single xrun of 16msecs. With 5msec latency, I could not
get things to xrun at all.

This is great news. in 2.4.0-test7, I would get frequent xruns from
memory pressure and/or intense disk activity. These have vanished. And
this is with a set of patches that Linus looks upon fairly favorably
(I'm not sure *how* favorably).

Now, remember: this was playing back 8 tracks while both my CPU's were
totally maxed out at 100% CPU utilization and the run queue never went
below a value between 4 and 6. Once again, I challenge any other
system to match this performance. Does anyone really think you could
do a parallel build of Samplitude or Nuendo while running it at the
same time ?

OK, my hubris is running away from me here. The main message: the low
latency sun has risen, and the summer is long.

--p