Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 09:25:10 EET

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> - I'll just keep waking up bleary-eyed but razzed with excitement.

I know *that* feeling... but where's my code!? *heh*

Zzzzzzz...

No, not yet!

<useless status report that no one will understand anyway>

Split buffer.h into buffer.h + share.h - makes much more sense.
(buffer.h basically covers what the LADSPA audio ports are doing,
while share.h is about sharing large buffers, transferring ownership
etc; basically low level asynchronous communication for "uploading"
data to plugins.)

As for buffer.h, I finally came to the conclusion that
pointer-to-pointer-to-buffer is a pretty stupid thing - no one will
ever need that. I'm just going to deal with arrays of buffer
pointers, quite similar to the LADSPA ports physically. Events to
change them in the middle of process() calls, but other then that,
hosts may skip that part, and access the pointers directly. (I think.
Might break with remote connections, but I'm not sure yet.)

</useless status report that no one will understand anyway>

Unless I get some more stupid ideas, you might eventually see this
processing some audio.

BTW, as for "stupid ideas" here goes:

        MAIA

Kind'a cute, and nicer than ol'slimy MuCoS, but I think there are
perhaps just a *few* too many hits to compete with on the 'net...!
(Anyway, this one means "Multimedia Application Integration
Architecture".)

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'