Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 00:05:22 EET

>The reason I asked is because, while many open projects rally around a
>single program, lad looks to me like a collection of individuals
>developing and sharing their personal knowledge base regarding digital
>audio through the process of developing their own apps. Ardour clearly
>has the potential to unify the efforts of developers aiming for a
>complete linux daw.

I hope so. I try to always be open to the ideas and contributions of
others. As yet, however, Kai is the only other person operating in
this universe, and his goals and design space are pretty different
from mine. There's been lots of discussions of things that probably
*should* be a part of Ardour, but very little or no code. Thats OK
- I'll just keep waking up bleary-eyed but razzed with excitement.

>EDL's
>
>The move to standardize edl's for platform neutral portability is
>definitely a work in progress.

Ardour really doesn't have to care about the EDL file format. Thats
the easy part (especially when people like timevista supply a
bison/flex parser for you :). The hard part is actually implementing
what the EDL describes. I have, oh, 80% of that in place, but as yet,
there is no way to specify gain curves or cross-fades. I know how to
do gain curves efficiently, but haven't found the time. the x-fades
are a lot more difficult, although i have some ideas.

I have the stuff from timevista, and I do plan to use it someday, but
its far from the most important part. Importing sessions from other
systems is a long way down the road, especially when those session
files are rarely come with a documented format.

>Busses
>
>The great thing about digital audio is that there are no such things as
>busses. Once the audio is fetched from the soundcard or hd there are
>just a bunch of static blocks of data residing in buffers.

I like to think of a bus as a point of data duplication. Before a
signal goes onto a bus, there is only one copy of it; after that,
there are (at least) 2.

--p