Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 23:15:54 EET

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> I hope so. I try to always be open to the ideas and contributions of
> others. As yet, however, Kai is the only other person operating in
> this universe, and his goals and design space are pretty different
> from mine. There's been lots of discussions of things that probably
> *should* be a part of Ardour, but very little or no code. Thats OK
> - I'll just keep waking up bleary-eyed but razzed with excitement.

I must say that although very little code is shared between our projects,
ecasound would look _very_ different if I hadn't joined LAD (uhm, June
1999, right after the first public release). This has been just as
important as direct code contributions.

As for getting people to work on the same projects, this is difficult, and
isn't getting any easier. I remember when I found SoundTracker for the
first time. It was a really _big_ thing for me. I was in a musical
dead-end. I desperately needed a sequencer of some sort, but didn't have
any. I only had one machine, and I needed it running Linux all the time. I
had tried a few Linux sequencers, but couldn't imagine myself making
anything serious with them. But then I found ST, a GPL'ed tracker for
Linux. Needless to say, just the possibility to contribute to ST seemed
like a gift from heaven. :)

Now this is the kind of itch I think people usually get when they decide
to contribute to a free-software project. If you compare this to a
situation where someone who has a working daw-setup (win/mac/hw), takes a
look at Ardour, it's a completely different thing. Also, as so much is
happening in the free-software world at the moment, it's often easier just
to wait for someone else the implement what you need.

But of course, as time passes, sooner or later someone with the right kind
of itch will notice Ardour and join the effort.

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .