Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA run() blocksize

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA run() blocksize
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 17:25:18 EET

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 08:58:46AM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >You can always just chop input[] into <= buffer[] sized chunks to do your
> >processing. Might be a bit slower, but *shrug*.
>
> *shrug* !!?!! :)
>
> Its an optimization yes, but then we need optimizations like a fish
> needs water.

I think you'd be supprised how little it matters, I don't know what you
have in mind, but the plugins I can think of that need to know the block
size (convolvers mainly) are so complicated that the extra inner loop
wouldn't even show up on performance tests.

> What say you ?

That said, if it can be added without breaking backward compatibility,
then why not? Although the plug is a bit stuffed if the host doesn't give
its max blocksize.

- Steve