Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 21:11:35 EET

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Richard A. Smith wrote:

> Questions I would have are how do you talk back to the PC?.. Steinberg uses's USB which
> seems like a pretty good idea IMHO. What do those other systems use? Parallel port and Com
> port solutions are usually messy for stuff like this.
>
> What kind of latency can people tollerate when working with controls? Basically if I had
> 32 or 64 knobs,sliders, switches, or whatever.. How fast would I need to scan them?

I think you should adopt the usual approach:
send the value of sliders only if they are moved.
This greatly reduces the needed bandwidth and the processing overhead within
the PC.
Of course USB is better than serial/MIDI because of the up to 12Mbit , vs
31/100kbit of the MIDI/serial port.

Internally you should scan the controllers as fast as you can,
and if the controller's new_value != old_value then send out new_value.

Benno.