[linux-audio-dev] Homebrew control surfaces was (ardour,LDSPA... A marrage)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Homebrew control surfaces was (ardour,LDSPA... A marrage)
From: Richard A. Smith (rsmith_AT_bitworks.com)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 18:45:43 EET

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:11:35 +0100, Benno Senoner wrote:

>Of course USB is better than serial/MIDI because of the up to 12Mbit , vs
>31/100kbit of the MIDI/serial port.
>
>Internally you should scan the controllers as fast as you can,
>and if the controller's new_value != old_value then send out new_value.

Well thats just it... I need to know how fast "as fast as you can" needs to be as that decides
the minimum ability of the microcontroller needed to scan the controls and thus the system
complexity.

What and how many controls would most people consider the minimum necessary on a control
surface to be usefull assuming it was talking to something like Ardour.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith_AT_bitworks.com               501.846.5777